Beijing Daxing International Airport (北京大兴国际机场) is the amazing new mega-airport under construction in Daxin District of Beijing. It will be the city’s second international airport alongside Beijing Capital International Airport and is expected to be completed on June 30, 2019, with an opening date of September 30, 2019.
It is expected to become the worlds largest airport featuring 4 runways a gargantuan 700,000 square meter terminal area. Expectations are that the airport will handle 100 million passengers each year.
Interesting Facts and Features
- Featuring a central transport hub including high-speed rail, intercity trains, and subway.
- Minimal walking distances – The distance between the transport hub and airport terminal center is less than 600m or 8 mins walk
- Speed of baggage delivery – the aim is for the first luggage item to appear on the carousel within 13 minutes of landing
- Super fast transfer times between arrival to boarding/departure
- Ultra low energy design and extensive use of renewable energy sources
Beijing Daxing International Airport location facts
- Address: Lixian Town, Yu Town, and Langfang, Daxing District, Beijing
- 46 km from Tiananmen Square
- 67 km from Capital Airport
- 85 km from Tianjin Binhai Airport
- 26 km from Langfang City Center
- 86 km from Baoding City Center
About Beijing Daxing International Airport
Beijing Daxing International Airport has a total investment of about 80 billion yuan. It will build 4 runways, 150 passenger planes, 24 cargo planes and 14 aircraft maintenance aprons; and 700,000 square meters of terminals. The main building and the gallery are meeting the needs of 72 million and 45 million people respectively.
Beijing Daxing International Airport is expected to be completed on June 30, 2019, and officially put into use in September/October. It is understood that China Eastern Airlines will invest 150 to 200 large-scale wide-body and narrow-body aircraft to operate here, opening links to the Americas, Europe, Australia, Japan, and South Korea, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan to and from Daxing International.
According to the relevant documents of the Civil Aviation Administration in July 2016, all member airlines of SkyTeam such as China Southern Airlines and China Eastern Airlines will be relocated to the new airport. Star Alliance members such as Air China and Hainan Airlines will stay at Beijing Capital International Airport.
The new airport terminal parking building project is also China’s first energy-efficient building 3A project.
Ground Transportation and New Rail Services
Beijing–Xiong’an intercity railway – currently under construction and will start from Beijing West railway station. It will connect the urban area of Beijing, Daxing District of Beijing, the new airport, Bazhou, and finally Xiong’an. It will offer travel times of Beijing CBD to the airport in about 11 minutes.
Capital Airport to Beijing New Airport intercity railway connector – will connect Langfang, Yizhuang, Beijing Sub-administrative Center in Tongzhou District and Beijing Capital International Airport to the new airport. Phase I of the intercity railway connector (New Airport to Langfang East railway station) is under construction.
Beijing Subway New Airport line – currently under construction and will connect the airport to the urban area of Beijing. The line will be opened in 2019. In addition, Line 20 of the Beijing Subway is planned to terminate at the new airport.